runlikejoy

Displaced Stay At Home Californian in rural N. Carolina

The Many Faces of Joy

The Many Faces of Joy

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Joy-Joy

We've discovered something new recently and I think it is a North Carolina thing or at least a southern thing.  People like to name their children two names instead of one and then you use those names when you talk to them.  At first I thought they were calling them by both names like you do when you talk about celebrities or famous people like "Harrison Ford".  No one calls him "Harrison" or just "Harry".  At least no one I know.

Here are some of my favorites from the kids school:

Noah Jack
Ava Belle
John Mark
Ella May
Mary Beth
Dickie Steve

Okay I made up the last one - but you get the idea.  It is rather novel, having two first names which means you get to have extra names.  It also eliminates the idea of a nickname because you already are saying so many names why make up a diminutive or smaller name to call your kid by?  As it is, I already go through the list of animals we've had before I get to the kids so the thought of having to call my kid by 2 names just seems like too much work.

 "Howard . . . Sally . . . Lloyd . . . Callie . . . Marcko . . . Buzz . . . Fiona!"


No comments: